When it comes to investing, there’s a well-recognised equation: the higher the market, the lower the investor IQ. Never fails.
Forget cold coffee and poor internet connections. The new first-world problems are going to be: My retirement is postponed indefinitely…I can’t afford to see the doctor… To avoid becoming a victim of the system, you need to take back personal control of
Central banks have blown THE BIGGEST bubble in history. History shows us that ALL bubbles eventually find a pin. Due to the breadth and height of this bubble — spanning the global economy and across all asset classes — containing the fallout will be nigh
How did Europe manage to out-flex the US? With natural growth? Heck no. The European Central Bank kept pumping the economic steroids - negative interest rates and money printing - for longer than the US. Europe may well puff out its chest, but all it's done
The weather is seasonal.Moods can change.Traffic conditions vary.Everything it seems is subject to variation and transformation…everything except investment markets.Investment analysts and commentators — in the main — always predict a better year a.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Goldilocks is going to be mauled by another bear…and it’ll be far more ferocious than the one that awoke from hibernation in 2000.
This is the result of 26 years without recession. Risk-taking and complacency replaces prudence and caution. People have overreached and are now under the pump.
Don't forget - the investment industry runs on sales... just like any other sector. To generate sales, financial advisors will use emotional triggers like "a happy retirement" or "protection for your children". And it's easy to ignore reason and buy into
Space lord Xenu, frozen corpse spaceships, alien soul rapture, and brainwashing facilities on Earth? How has something so fanciful become an established, well-funded organization? True believers.... not unlike those worshiping Satoshi Nakamoto and his
China has taken this GDP growth obsession to another level. The government directive is ‘We will achieve 6.7% growth each and every year’. And, miraculously, that’s the number they produce…within days of the quarter ending. Fake news?
Work at least one hour per week for cash or — wait for it — in kind, and you, my friend, are employed. Congratulations; you’re now officially a bread winner…provided the baker will accept ‘in kind’ payment.
Would I buy bitcoin, Ethereum or any of the other 1099 cryptos? The resounding answer is: No. I wouldn’t put one red cent into these assets.
A few years ago I warned about chasing yield. There are no free lunches. The extra return comes with a potential sting in the tale. My parents learned that lesson the hard way...
As a baby boomer, I'll admit we took advantage of the stable financial conditions our frugal parents created, leveraged up, and enjoyed prosperity... but as the cycle turns, we should prepare to live like our parents did.
Stability creates instability as people take on more risk, believing trends will continue. That's a dangerous assumption...especially with a bank's money.
If households are almost ‘maxed out’, the only way to move the GDP needle into the positive is by governments going deeper and deeper into debt. Running even more generous social welfare programs. None of this is a productive use of capital.
All that’s happened since 2008 has been an accelerated pursuit of the policies that caused the crisis in the first place, lulling people into a false sense of security.
CPI figures. Unemployment numbers. US corporate earnings. Investment industry reports. Information being produced for public consumption is seriously compromised.
Second-level thinking is deep, complex and convoluted. It is different and better than first-level thinking, which tends to be applied by the crowd.
The fall of the US stock market will send shockwaves around the world and, like Pavlov's dog, the response from central bankers will be something that you can easily expect...
Don’t people realize that when anything market related is prefaced with ‘record’ or ‘all-time’ it’s closer to the end, and NOT the beginning, of a trend?
The world has too much debt, too much capacity, too many entitlements, too many people moving into retirement, and too many people who think the world owes them a living. Reality is going to hit — and hit hard.
Personally, I’d have thought a national debt load in excess of 600% of GDP and an ageing population who are opposed to debt-funded consumption would have been the root causes. No, it’s that pesky Jeff Bezos who’s to blame…
On any given day, less than 1% of shares in the market change hands, but their sale impacts the value of the other 99%. The same principle applies to the economy...so how much has to change before we should worry?